In the instant pot
- Endometriosis friendly
- Red meat free
When following an endometriosis diet, it can be hard to find recipes you can eat, traditional gumbo has gluten and red meat in it. finding food substitutes makes it possible to make this recipe! I use almond flour often in place of regular flour, but you can also use oat flour, coconut flour, and rice flour. I use chicken in place of red meat, chicken sausage is amazing!
This recipe is made super simple in the instant pot, gumbo can be intimidating to make especially if you must make food substitutes. If you don’t have a lot of time or you are nervous about getting it right, the instant pot makes it fast and easy. I have mapped out step by step instructions for you below. This recipe only takes about 30 minutes to cook and it’s all done in the instant pot.
This Gumbo is delicious because I added even more seafood. If you love scallops and shrimp this will be a favorite soup of yours. When you take a bite of this gumbo you won’t be able to put the spoon down. Traditional gumbo doesn’t have scallops in it, but scallops are one of my favorite sea foods. They pair so seamlessly with the shrimp and sausage in the gumbo. It tastes just like the scallops were meant to be there and make the gumbo even more delicious.
Don’t be afraid to make extra because this soup is really yummy left over. If you don’t want to make lunch for work no problem, grab a bowl of left-over gumbo and heat it up at work. I do this often, I like to make extras of food so that I have left overs for work. It saves me so much time in the morning and during the week. I can focus on other things rather than spending hours in the kitchen each night or morning.
1 lb chicken sausage
½ lb shrimp
1 lb scallops
½ cup olive oil
1 bell pepper diced
3 celery stalks diced
1 onion diced
4 garlic cloves minced
2 tbsp Coco Aminos (or any soy sauce substitute)
10 oz frozen okra sliced
14 oz canned diced tomatoes
32 oz chicken broth
2 tsp gumbo file powder
½ tbsp salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper, chili powder, and garlic powder
- Turn on sauté setting. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil and after it heats up add sliced chicken sausage. Cook until sausage is browned. Remove sausage and set aside.
- Add 2 tbs of chicken broth and add remaining olive oil and almond flour. Cook on sauté setting, stirring continuously. Cook for about 10- 15 minutes to create a thick, brown color sauce.
- Add in chopped celery, onions, garlic, and bell pepper. Cook on sauté setting and stir until they have softened.
- Add the rest of the chicken broth and mix well. Add in all the seasoning (including gumbo file powder), Coco Aminos, okra, canned diced tomatoes, and sausage.
- Cover and lock lid. Cook on manual (or instant cook) high for 10 minutes.
- Fast release. Remove lid. Turn on sauté setting. Add shrimp and scallops. Cook an for 5 or more minutes until shrimp and scallops are completely cooked.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
You can add rice or quinoa if you would like and if you like a little more spice you can add hot sauce (or pick a spicy sausage) to the gumbo.